Eleven teams from around the world have arrived in Ekaterinburg, Russia to compete in the Women’s Match Racing World Championship 2018. Racing will begin on the Verkh-Isetskiy pond tomorrow. Today the teams arrived to beautiful sailing conditions, completed the registration and spent the afternoon practicing on the water.
Defending Champions Lucy Macgregor and her Team Mac from Great Britain are looking forward to the opportunity to defend their title.
The list of participants of the Championship:
- Match in Pink by Normandy Elite Team – France: Pauline Courtois, Maëlenn Lemaître, Louise Acker, Nathalie Corson, Sophie Faguet
- L2 Match Racing Team – Finland: Marinella Laaksonen, Daniela Rönnberg, Marianna Kontulainen, Eva-Lotta
- Team Kattnakken – Denmark: Trine Palludan, Anne Sofie Munk-Hansen, Louise Ulrikkeholm Bredvig, Joan Wester Hansen
- Swiss Women Match Racing Team – Switzerland: Alexa Bezel, Fiona Testuz, Manon Kivell, Nicole Bolliger
- Team Mac – Great Britain: Lucy Macgregor, Annie Lush, Nicky Walsh, Kate Macgregor
- Athena Racing – Great Britain: Octavia Owen, Ruby Riggs, Amber Riggs, Hebe Hemming
- Matchmoiselles by Normandy Elite Team – France: Margot Vennin, Marie Zugolaro, Juliette Dubreuil, Adèle Marévéry, Sophonie Affagard
- APCC Women Sailing Team – France: Margot Riou, Clémentine Hilaire, Caroline Vandame, Tiphaine Ragueneau
- ProKaTeam Sailing Team – Russia: Ekaterina Kochkina, Svetlana Sidorova, Anastasia Gladysheva, Antonina Tikhonova
- BERGAUF Sailing Team – Russia: Milena Laverycheva, Olga Ivanova, Ksenia Trushkina, Tatyana Razumova
- BornToSail – Russia: Alexandra Martynova, Liudmila Dmitrieva, Anastasia Shcheglova, Yana Stokolesova
The teams were greeted by a bright and sunny day with good racing wind as the teams practiced in the Ricochet-747 boats. While the three Russian teams were already familiar with the boats, the foreign teams took the opportunity to get familiar with local venue, racing area and boats.
Tomorrow the first start is planned at 10:00.
In the evening after racing the Opening Ceremony of the Women’s Match Racing World Championship will be held together with opening of the new building of the Gubernskiy Yacht Club Komatek.
The partners of 2018 Women’s Match Racing World Championship:
Turkish Airlines, Building materials company «Bergauf», New Radio 90,8 fm, the President of the Sverdlovsk fund of the regional collaboration support and development Alexander Serebrennikov with support of Ministry of physical culture & sport of the Sverdlovsk region, Center of the Sporting Events – GAUSO “CSM”, Regional Social Organization «Olympic Union of Sverdlovsk Region» and City of Ekaterinburg Administration
The photo and video are provided by FLASHBACK STUDIOS, New Zealand.
More information about the sailors may be found here: http://www.wimseries.com/sailors/